Since being established in 2018, the Liberal Democrats Campaign for Race Equality has already accumulated a number of significant achievements in the fight for racial equality inside and outside of our party. Here's a selection of them. Want to help deliver change like this? Then help us by getting involved with our work by emailing email@example.com
- Creation of a comprehensive Race Equality strategy document which we have built support for from Parliamentarians and the wider Party. This came on the back of the Alderdice review. Our previous Chair, Roderick, also contributed to the Thornhill Review and was on its committee.
- We developed the Ten Point Race Equality Pledge which both leadership candidates agreed to in 2020. We are now closely holding the Party to account for its implementation.
- Working hard to push the cause of all-BAME shortlists and/or minimum BAME presence on shortlists for selections. We have also helped get several BAME MEPs onto shortlists and elected, as well as ensuring BAME zipping for GLA shortlists.
- Ensuring financial sustainability of LDCRE from both inside and outside the Party, including with multiple key events, and appropriate governance to ensure its long-term future as an SAO.
- Building links with local and regional parties to push for greater diversity of membership and roles, and reviewing the data quality held around this.
- Lobbying for the position of Vice-President (BAME) being established as well as the creation of the Racial Dviersity Campaign.
- Getting candidates promoted who successfully ended up on Federal Committees, helping to improve previous poor BAME representation (including getting our current Chair, Mohsin, directly elected onto Federal Policy Committee). LDCRE has also helped many candidates get experience of being on Federal Committees in the first place by using our rep positions to develop people's networks, skills, and experience.
- Established the role of BAME officer for the Young Liberals Executive and worked with other SAO's to secure similar roles within their organisations.
WIder Race Equality:
- Working on race equality accreditation programmes with industry
- Ensuring LDCRE representation at Black Pride events, and widening party presence at such events.
- Working with other SAOs to campaign on improved diversity in industry.
Policy and Campaigns:
- Contributing into the party's Race Equality policy motion passed at race equality conference - and successfully getting 2 amendments (on body worn cameras and on ONS race monitoring) passed. We are now working with Parliamentarians on how to implement these further.
- Crafting several policies that ended up in the Lib Dem Eradicating Race Inequality Policy Paper 135, and lobbying Parliamentarians, putting down questions in Parliament, and more, to help work on these becoming reality.
- Crafting the Party's policy and positions on the Windrush campaign and holding the Party to account on this.